For rent and rented!

 

I have an apartment for rent and that means a refresh, restart, recheck and maybe a repaint. Lots of work!

 It’s been almost 4 years so I have been lucky. 

This is in an old, old house that has been divided into 4 apartments. The tenants in the other three apartments have been there for a long time.  I would hate to see what those places will look like when those tenants leave.


The house is in a desirable part of town especially for those who work in the medical mile or downtown. It has a designated parking spot for each apartment and free storage in the basement. There is a coin operated washer and dryer in the basement. Tenants may have a flowerbed if they enjoy gardening.  There are porches, front and back, that they may use. It’s a pretty decent place to live without central air conditioning.

The place comes with two tenant responsibilities that are nonnegotiable. The snow removal is their responsibility.  More importantly there is absolutely no smoking in the building. We have had tenants that didn’t believe this and were been evicted.  The nature of an old building makes it impossible to make the apartments airtight.

I list this apartment on Facebook marketplace which has its pros and cons.  A definite plus is that many people see your listing. A definite downside is the “Is this still available?” button.  Many people seem to just look at two things- the pictures and the price and push that button. I get a plethora of “ is this still available?”messages!   I find that frustrating because it means a lot of wasted time trying to sort out valid responses and quick reaction responses. 

I changed the description after a week on marketplace by prefacing the ad with an invitation (in bold caps) to come and see the apartment on a certain day and time. That certainly stopped all “Is this available?” responses which was great.  Now I’ll see if there are any serious applicants. Stay tuned!

Update: no one came but I reconnected with other tenants, I got a fellow landlord to come and he agreed to do some repairs and I cleaned. I also sprayed the weeds for a second time.  I learned that need to advertise on s different site and I need some thing better for the weeds! Not a bad morning!!!

A nasty spot on a high ceiling…superficial 

This was caused by a leak from upstairs.

The ceilings are really high and the painter has good ladder.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy day in the kitchen with Cook's Illustrated

Superbowl 50